Jackfruit Curry Recipe
The Jackfruit is perfect for those interested in creating a vegetarian meal.
3-4 portions / cooking time – 30 min.
2 1/2 cups (350g) green jackfruit
1 chopped red onion
2 garlic cloves
1 green or red chili, finely chopped
2 tbsp. plant or coconut oil
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. curry powder
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. fenugreek seeds
1/2 tsp. ground black mustard seeds
1/2 tsp. chilli or paprika powder
3 tsp. ground turmeric
2 small pieces of cinnamon
6-8 curry leaves
2 bay or pandan leaves
1 cup (240 ml) coconut milk
1/2 cup (120 ml) water
1-2 tbsp. lime juice
1 tbsp. sugar
3/4 tbsp. salt
chopped fresh coriander leaves
- Rinse the jackfruit and chop into cubes or small pieces.
- Heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, chilli, curry powder, cumin, coriander, black pepper, fenugreek seeds, black mustard seeds, chilli powder, turmeric, cinnamon, and curry leaves. Continously stir for 3-5 minutes.
- Then add jackfruit, lime juice and salt and continue to stir for another 3-5 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and stir until boiling. Return to simmer for an additional 12-15 minutes. Keep the pot covered and stir in between until the jackfruit is soft. If you prefer a thinner curry add water during this time.
- Serve with rice and top with freshly ground coriander leaves .